Monday, December 11, 2017

Chocolate Cherry Jelly Roll #BakingBloggers

This is month 2 of Baking Bloggers, a new group hosted by my friend Sue of Palatable Pastime.  We kicked off the group last month with the theme of pies.  I shared a Concord Grape Pie.  It was a great event and we had a lot of fun not too mention a ton of great pie recipes, both sweet and savory.

Each month, Sue posts a poll and we vote for the theme we would like for the following month.  This month the winner was Filled Cakes.  I was excited.  I had planned to do a Buche de Noel.

Then life got in the way and there was no way that I was going to find time to spend learning how to make a new cake.  I guess the Buche de Noel will have to wait until next year. 

I decided to make my life a little easier and make a simple jelly roll.  Our son, Anthony, loves making jellies and jams.  I love that he makes jellies and jams too because that means I always have a great selection in my pantry.

I used his Strawberry Margarita jam to make a Bundt cake.  His Raspberry/Mango jam made a great glaze for a ham steak.



I went into the pantry to see what flavors I had left and spotted a jar of Chocolate Cherry jam.  SCORE!!

I used the same sponge cake recipe that I use for my Strawberry Roll during the summer months, omitting the almond flavoring and doubling up on the vanilla.  Instead of folding strawberries into whipped cream, I added the jam to the cream before whipping.  It is to DIE FOR!!


It is like fluffy Cella Cherries wrapped up in tender, light cake.  I had to force myself not to eat this cream with a spoon.  


I managed to save some so I could add an extra dollop to each plate as I served this to my guests.  Yes, those are actual chunks of cherries in that cream.  No, I don't have the recipe for this am but I will see if he will share it.  In the meanwhile you can use your favorite flavor jam in this recipe.


Should you happen to have a jar of hot fudge sauce in your refrigerator, you can drizzle some onto the plate before adding your cake and an extra dollop of cream.




Chocolate Cherry Jelly Roll

4 eggs, separated
1 c. sugar, divided
3/4 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. vanilla
Powdered sugar
1/2 c. chocolate cherry jam (or your favorite jam)
1 c. heavy cream

Spray a cookie sheet with sides with cooking spray and then line with parchment paper.

Beat egg whites on high speed until frothy.  Gradually add 1/2 c. of the sugar beating until stiff peaks form. Set aside.

Beat egg yolks with remaining 1/2 c. of sugar until thick and lemon colored.  Sift flour, baking powder and salt over egg yolk mixture and mix at low speed until just combined.

Gently fold egg yolk mixture into egg whites just until blended.  Spread onto the parchment lined pan.  Bake at 375* for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.

While cake is baking, place a clean linen towel on the counter and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  When cake is baked, remove from oven, turn onto the linen towel and remove the parchment paper.

Place the towel over the edge of the cake lengthwise and begin rolling the cake and the towel together until it becomes one long roll.  Let cool completely.

Whip together the jam and heavy cream until light and fluffy.  Unroll the cooled cake.  Spread the whipped cream mixture over the cake.  You will not use all of the whipped cream.  Roll the cake back into a roll and place, seam side down, onto a serving platter. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar.  

Refrigerate until ready to serve.  Slice and add an extra dollop of whipped cream  to each serving. Print Recipe

More Filled Cake Recipes






8 comments:

  1. After cookie week, a buche de noel would have been super ambitious. This sounds delicious, and how cool that you could use your son's jam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was happy to be able to incorporate his jam into this cake. It was heavenly.

      Delete
  2. Chocolate and cherry are one of my favorite combos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too Cindy. Had I made a chocolate sponge this would have been a wonderful Black Forest Jelly Roll.

      Delete
  3. This cake sounds so good! And light with the egg whites, so it's healthy right?! Haha- I love when you can use pantry finds to make great surprises like this- that jam sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is good. I'll have to post the recipe if he shares it.

      Delete
  4. We love these cake filled rolls, these with cherry filling look absolutely divine.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.